This Independent Student Traveler application is intended for USF students who are engaged in any international travel conducted as part
of a USF program requirement, elective, research project, service learning, conference or any international activity tied to an individual’s status as an active USF student, regardless of the source of funding for the travel. (See International Travel Authority - USF System Policy 10-507
This application is intended for students who are traveling with no one else from USF including other faculty, staff or students, on a non-credit international activity tied to your status as an active USF student
If other faculty, staff, students and others are on this activity, do not use this application. The Group Non-Credit Student Related Travel Registration process must be followed. A group can be 2 individuals such as a faculty and a student or more. Once the group registration is started by a single traveler, a link will be shared with all travelers to register for this group experience. Follow this link to start the group registration process Group Non-Credit Student Related Travel Registration
Throughout the registration process you may see terms such as “study abroad” or “education abroad”. Please interpret them in the broadest sense possible, since activities tied to your status as a USF student are intended to support your educational goals at USF.
USF World has categorized countries into three tiers that each have specific restrictions. Tier One Countries (or locations) have the most significant risk. By USF World definition, a Tier One country has been issued a Travel Warning by the U.S. Department of State advising US citizens to avoid traveling to the country or portion of the country. Student travel to a Tier One location is not permitted whether it is the intended destination or transfer point. Tier Two travel may also not be permitted. Please review the Tier Risk Designation Chart
to confirm the Tier Level for your chosen destination. If you are traveling to a Tier One or a Tier Two location with significant risks due to health, safety or security concerns, you will need to be submit a petition to the Global Risk Assessment Committee. This process can be lengthy so please register your travel at least 6-8 weeks prior to departure. To review the history of the GRAC and how the registration process works, click this link.
By registering you are able to:
- Provide essential information to USF so that the Education Abroad Office can better support and assist you if an emergency situation arises while you are abroad.
- Register for United HealthCare Global (UHCG) Emergency Medical and Evacuation insurance.
- If you are traveling more than once in the same term, we will need to manually set up the second application for you. If you find yourself in this situation, or if you need assistance with other technical problems, please contact the Education Abroad Office for assistance.
The United HealthCare Global Policy cost is $1.53 a day and is billed at a daily rate. *The cost of UHCG is covered by the University and is not billed to any travelers beginning with the Spring 2017 Term.
There is also a Security and Safety Monitoring (SSM) charge which is listed as the following:
- $30 for travel/trips of 14 days or less
- $40 for travel/trips of more than 14 days up to 28 days
- $50 for travel/trips of more than 29 days
These charges will be posted to your USF Account to allow for convenient payment through your OASIS account. IF you need to have it posted to a grant or department, please contact the Education Abroad Office for assistance.
For insurance-related questions, please contact Preston Drane at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone at 813-974-0402.
Students: If you are unsure of your USF ID number, you can locate this number by following these instructions:
- Login to your myUSF page, using your NetID
- Select the "OASIS" tab located at the top menu bar
- After you are re-directed to the OASIS page, go to "Student Information"
- You will be able to view your personal details on this page, including your USF ID number. This number will begin with a "U."